Monday, September 3, 2007

Sightings: Goat Rider

Although much continues to happen regarding the mortgage industry meltdown, the house flipping and mortgage discussion will have to wait until after a "Sighting" entry or two.



Albuquerque has over half a million people in its metro area. Two major interstate highways intersect near downtown. There are miles of what might be considered urban freeway through the area.

So, I'm driving down IH25 from work one afternoon last March. It's another pretty day in a long line of beautiful days. Traffic, as usual, is relatively light with the occasional crazy Indy-driver wanna-be.

The radio is playing garbage mixed with commercials.

The Sandias move past on the left as I drive south. Jumping skyward a mile above the city, they dwarf this man-made world along the highway. I promise myself that I'll hike up there again soon.

Just ahead in the right hand lane a old white truck is pulling a flat-bed trailer. The trailer is about 18 feet long. It has metal-framed sides about a foot high.

There's something on trailer, but I can't tell what for sure. I pull into the passing lane and begin approaching the truck and trailer.

It's coming into focus. It's head is down. Ropes are tied to each of its four legs from each of the four corners of the trailer. It's got horns.

It's a goat. It looks really pissed.

Travelling at least 65 miles per hour down the freeway is a truck pulling an open flat-bed trailer with a goat --head down -- riding in the middle.

A goat.

As I pass the truck, I glance at the driver. He's simply driving the truck. Oblivious that something is amiss, he's simply driving.

Did he know that he was driving along an urban interstate? Did he know that what he was doing was wrong? I think not.

Where was he going? Did he make it to his destination? I'm asking about the goat. I hope he made it safely.

I wanted to follow the Goat Rider that day, but I thought better of it. Still, witnessing this "Sighting" really got my goat.

No comments: